Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- Spoon flour into measuring cup and level.
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives until all flour is blended to form pea-size chunks.
- Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Toss lightly with fork until dough forms a ball.
- Press dough between hands to form 5- to 6-inch"pancake".
- Flour rolling surface and rolling pin lightly Roll dough into circle.
- Trim circle 1 inch larger than upside-down pie plate.
- Carefully remove trimmed dough.
- Set aside to reroll and use for pastry cutout garnish, if desired.
- Fold dough into quarters.
- Unfold and press into pie plate.
- Fold edge under.
- For recipes using a baked pie crust, heat oven to 425°F.
- Prick bottom and side thoroughly with fork (50 times) to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For recipes using an unbaked pie crust, follow directions given for that recipe.
Perfect! and makes the perfect amount too! I used margarine instead of shortening and it came out buttery and flaky. Just right! Thank you!
The BEST! Makes the best crust I have ever tasted. Actually I replace real butter for the shortening to cut out the trans-fats. Also, use extremely cold water. Big glass of ice filled with water. Then measure out the water in measuring spoons. This is good every single time. Consistently!
Simple to make and the finished product is flaky & delicious.