Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
This is comfort food at its best, especially during these uneasy times. You can serve the pudding with a dollop of homemade whipped cream (and even a maraschino cherry on top.) To make it look really special or for dinner parties, serve in parfait dishes or martini glasses.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was pretty tasty, but not as creamy as I would have liked. Even after an hour, the rice was not fully cooked, and I had to cook it for at least another 20 minutes or so. I used fresh lemon zest, which gave it a wonderful flavor. It was not too sweet, and was definitely comfort food. Made for My 3 Chefs.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raw fancy long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated tangerine peel (or orange or lemon rind)
- ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar, and bring to a boil. Add rice, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring gently every 10 to 15 minutes. When it thickens, stir every 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, vanilla, and tangerine rind together. After rice pudding has cooked for 1 hour, add 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the pot, turn off the heat and stir.
- Pour into serving dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chill.