1/4 Photos of Classic Cream Scones
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Barbara Heller's Note:
You're best off describing scones to a German by saying that they are like a cross between a Kuchen (cake), a Plaetzchen (cookie), and a Broetchen (roll), but are very unique and not really like anything else found in Germany. My German husband *loves* this recipe: Classic Cream Scones (from Simply Scones, by Leslie Weiner and Barbara Albright)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup currants or 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glaze (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425F.
- 2Lightly butter a baking sheet. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture. With a pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg, and vanilla.
- 4Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combines.
- 5Stir in the currents/raisins (optional). With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured cutting board.
- 6Using a floured 2 1/2-inch-diameter round biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out rounds from the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps together and repeat until all the dough is used.
- 7Lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg mixture, if desired.
- 8Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 9Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- 10Using a spatula, transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool.
- 11Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- 12Makes about 14 scones.
- 13Variation: Add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of grated lemon peel to the dry ingredients.
- 14My variation: Classic Scones 280 grams all-purpose flour 65 g granulated sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/8 teaspoon salt 110 g unsalted butter, chilled 6 tablespoons milk 1 large egg 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar 125 g raisins Preheat oven to 220C.
- 15Directions as above.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Cream Scones
Serving Size: 1 (683 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.1
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.5 mg
- Sodium 82.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g