Recipe by NoSpringChicken
My husband's family has been using this traditional and delicious salad for holiday dinners for five generations. The women used to grind the cranberries and the orange in a food grinder, which was a messy job! Thank goodness for food processors! It can be made up to three days before serving, which is always a help when we are cooking for those holiday meals. Keep covered in refrigerator. Cook time is for chilling.
Top Review by ~*~Gold Medal Flower~*~
It isn't Thanksgiving without this salad! Since Janice Mitchell is my Mother I asked her to post this recipe because as she said, my Grandmother used to make it, and I can still see her grinding those cranberries and oranges. She'd get them on her apron and you could just see her try her best not to curse up a storm! It's a great salad, please give it a try! And thanks Mom!
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen cranberries
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes cranberry Jell-O gelatin or 2 (3 ounce) boxesother red gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large navel orange, cut into chunks, rind included
- 1 1⁄4 cups red seedless grapes or 1 1⁄4 cups green grapes, cut into halves
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; set aside.
- In food processor, chop the cranberries while still frozen.
- Add to the gelatin with 1 1/2 cup of sugar, stir to combine.
- In food processor, chop orange chunks until finely chopped; add to cranberry mixture.
- Stir in grape halves and pecans.
- Pour into decorative bowl or mold and chill overnight.
- Adjust sugar, if necessary.