Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this coffee cake. It's a classic recipe from Family Circle.
Make and share this Classic Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, pinch
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, plus enough milk to equal 1 cup (or use 1 cup buttermilk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F; coat 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- For topping, in medium bowl, blend brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- With pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbs form; chill.
- For cake, (if not using buttermilk) pour vinegar into a measuring cup; add enough milk to equal 1 cup.
- Set aside.
- In medium bow, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Working in batches, beat in milk mixture alternately with flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into pan.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar; cut in squares.
- If you don't own a powdered sugar sifter, use a wire-mesh container or strainger to dust top of cake.