1 hr 25 mins
I love this coffee cake. It's a classic recipe from Family Circle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, pinch
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, plus enough milk to equal 1 cup (or use 1 cup buttermilk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F; coat 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2For topping, in medium bowl, blend brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- 3With pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbs form; chill.
- 4For cake, (if not using buttermilk) pour vinegar into a measuring cup; add enough milk to equal 1 cup.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In medium bow, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 7In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- 8Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- 9Working in batches, beat in milk mixture alternately with flour mixture.
- 10Scrape batter into pan.
- 11Sprinkle with topping.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- 13Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 14Dust with confectioners' sugar; cut in squares.
- 15If you don't own a powdered sugar sifter, use a wire-mesh container or strainger to dust top of cake.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.7
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 277.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g