Recipe by *Crystal*
My absolute favorite! It was first published in the 1941 edition of Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda.
- beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer, stir in the remaining flour.
- stir in the chocolate pieces and nuts.
- drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- bake cookies in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.