Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A classic chili that is more about flavor than heat.
- 2 lbs ground beef (browned)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 3 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (for a little more heat) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (for a lot more heat) (optional)
- 2 cups macaroni (cooked) (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and add bouillon.
- Once bouillon has dissolved, add remaining ingredients except macaroni.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add macaroni if desired – don’t continue to cook after adding or macaroni will turn to mush.
This is our new favorite chili recipe. We loved it! We made it vegetarian by using 2 (14 oz) cans vegeburger. We only used half the chili powder, but also took the option of the cayenne pepper halving it and it tasted perfect without being too spicy. We also only let it simmer for one hour (the family was getting impatient to eat!). Terrific recipe and we will be making it again. Thanks!
Yum Yum! This is the way my mom makes it! Slightly sweet and super tasty! Only modification we do is add diced bell peppers and paprika.