Recipe by 55tbird
From TOH Home Style Suppers Volume 4, 2000. Recipe by Marjorie Carey of Belfry, Montana. This is a very mild chili with outstanding flavors. I used home frozen roma tomatoes, red beans and black beans and one pound of venison burger in place of one pound of ground beef and Penzeys chili con carne seasoning in place of chili powder.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute green pepper, onions and celery in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worstershire sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add kidney beans.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes longer.