Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in the Sept06 issue of Real Simple magazine. I'm making it tonight and adding some matzoh balls.
- 1 whole chicken
- 6 carrots, peeled
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Cut 3 of the carrots and 2 of the celery stalks into 1-inch pieces. Quarter the onion. Add the cut vegetables to the pot with the salt, peppercorns, and enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let cool.
- Strain the broth, discarding the vegetables. Return the broth to the pot.
- Thinly slice the remaining carrots and celery. Add them to the broth and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat and add it to the soup. Ladle into individual bowls.