- 2 lbs ground beef, preferably chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese or 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (12 ounces)
- 8 leaves bibb lettuce (1 small head)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Season meat with salt and pepper, mix very lightly, and shape into four patties.
- Grill hamburgers 4 to 6 minutes per side for rare and 9 to 11 minutes for well done.
- If making cheeseburgers, lay cheese slices on top of the hamburgers after they have been flipped.
- Serve immediately on buns (toasted, if desired), topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and onion slices.