1/1 Photo of Classic Cheese Souffle (Julia Child)
Happy Hippie's Note:
This recipe was adapted from a version in "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child as printed in the April 2008 issue of bon appetit. The article claims that this is an easy foolproof recipe for this souffle. I've yet to try it yet but can't wait. I've never made a souffle before -- too many stories of failures for me to bother. This has changed my mind.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- 2Butter 6-cup (1-1/2 quart) souffle dish.
- 3Add Parmesan cheese and tilt dish, coating bottom and sides.
- 4Warm milk in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming.
- 5Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add flour and whisk until mixture begins to foam and loses raw taste, about 3 minutes; do not allow mixture to brown).
- 7Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 1 minute.
- 8Pour in warm milk, whisking constantly until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat; whisk in paprika, salt, and nutmeg.
- 10Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisking to blend after each addition.
- 11Scrape souffle base into large bowl.
- 12Cool to lukewarm. DO AHEAD; can be made 2 hours ahead.
- 13Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- 14Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 15Fold 1/4 of whites into lukewarm or room temperature souffle base to lighten.
- 16Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions while gradually sprinkling in Gruyere cheese.
- 17Transfer batter to prepared dish.
- 18Place dish in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- 19Bake until souffle is puffed and golden brown on top and center moves only slightly when dish is shaken gently, about 25 minutes (do not open oven door during first 20 minutes).
- 20Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Cheese Souffle (Julia Child)
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 243.9 mg
- Sodium 527.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 18.9 g