Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A shrimp breakfast...from my old site. Some days I just miss Charleston.
Make and share this Classic Charleston Breakfast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup peeled shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4-1 cup hot water (shrimp, chicken or vegetable) or 3⁄4-1 cup stock (shrimp, chicken or vegetable)
- hot cooked grits
- In a bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with lemon juice, salt and cayenne and set aside. Heat the bacon grease in a skillet and saute the onion and pepper over medium heat until the onion begins to become transparent (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until the flour begins to brown. Add the shrimp and about 3/4 cup of liquid, stirring constantly and turning the shrimp to cook evenly.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until shrimp are cooked through and the gravy is uniformly smooth, thinning with a little extra liquid if necessary.
- Serve immediately over the hot grits.
- and I'll be right over.