Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Worth the extra effort required for preparation, this recipe came from Hart's Restaurant in Toronto, Canada and deserves "home made" croutons and bacon bits rather than store bought. I usually add 2 or 3 anchovies (and eat the rest out of the can) but not everybody likes them. Its a great prelude to any Italian dinner!!
- romaine lettuce
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 drop Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits
- Wash and completely dry lettuce; tear into bite sized pieces and place into a salad bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, lemon juice, Tabasco and wine vinegar; mix well.
- SLOWLY drizzle olive oil into the other ingredients and WHISK VIGOROUSLY until the mixture thickens. You may find it easier to use a food processor or a hand held blender.
- Sprinkle croutons, parmesan and bacon bits over the greens.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss.
very tasty, i made this the old fashioned way-i rubbed the wooden salad bowl with the garlic clove, mixed the dressing in the bowl but i also added 3 mashed anchovies. added the lettuce and grated parmigiano reggiano over, tossed in the croutons. my casaer lovers were happy