Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Love this stuff. Sometimes we add seasoned cooked chicken breast for a 1 dish meal. Did you know that this salad was "invented" in Tijuana, Mexico?
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 pieces toasted white bread, cut into small cubes
- 2⁄3-1 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large wooden or glass bowl mash the garlic into the salt until smooth.
- Add the dijon, worcestershire, and anchovy paste.
- Whisk well.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk well.
- Add the egg yolk (some use the whole egg) and whisk well.
- Add the oil in a slow,, steady stream while whisking like mad.
- Keep whisking until dressing is smooth and creamy looking.
- Add the romaine and toast cubes and toss well.
- Add the parmesan cheese and toss well again.
- Serve right away.
fantastic salad. I used real anchovy fillets, because I don't mind the litle "floaty" parts :-)--but really , I have tried several Caesar dressings and this one is really good. You can trust it! Thanks di for the recommendation and the recipe!
Actually, this is the closest recipe I've seen so far for the orginal Caesar salad...I had the salad at the Caesar Hotel in Tijuana, and the only thing that is different is the fact the the mustard was plain yellow mustard, I don't think they used canola oil, but olive oil instead, and pepper was used. Thank you for posting this!