Recipe by Chef Surf'n Safari
This recipe is the classic original Caesar Salad with the dressing made from scratch. It has that bite that the best Caesar Salad dressings are supposed to have. This dressing will wow your guests and have them asking you where you bought it. I learned and refined this recipe while in culinary school. It is very important that you use fresh ingredients that have not been pre-processed (ie. lemon not bottle of lemon juice, block of parmesan cheese not parmesan cheese already grated in a container, etc.).
- 28.34 g anchovy (approximately 2)
- 14.79 ml fresh garlic (approximately 4 cloves)
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 7.39 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk, coddled
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 283.49 g romaine lettuce
- 236.59 ml seasoned croutons
Directions See How It's Made
- Place anchovies and fresh garlic in a wooden salad bowl. Crush into a fine paste with 2 dinner forks.
- Add Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce to paste and stir.
- Add egg yolk and continue to stir.
- SLOWLY add olive oil while continuously stirring.
- Add lemon juice, red wine vinegar and half of the parmesan cheese then stir.
- Place the Romaine lettuce on the dressing mixture and toss, making sure to wet all sides of the lettuce leaves.
- Add croutons and the remaining parmesan cheese then toss lightly.
- Serve on cold plates with chilled forks.
- Sprinkle with ground pepper to taste (Optional).