Recipe by alleycatb
Nothing out of the ordinary here but well worth the fuss of making and eating :)from Betty Crocker's Salads, 1977.
- 1 garlic clove, cut into halves
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the inside of a salad bowl with garlic clove and discard clove.
- Stir anchovy pieces, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and spices to make a dressing.
- Coat lettuce with dressing.
- Break cottled egg (directions below) over salad squeeze lemon and add croutons, (directions below) and cheese.
- Toss and serve.
- To make croutons: Butter both sides of bread and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Cut into cubes and toast either in a dry skillet or in a 400F oven until golden and dry. about 10-15 minutes.
- To make coddled egg: Place cold egg in warm water.
- Cover with boiling water for 30 seconds
- Immerse in ice water to stop cooking process.