1/2 Photos of Classic Cabbage Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
I believe I got this recipe in one of my "Tast of Home" cooking magazines. It is a really good recipe for cabbage rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cabbage (cored)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1In a Dutch oven, boil cabbage for 10 minutes or until leaves are tender; drain.
- 2Rinse in cold water; drain.
- 3Remove 8 large outer leaves, set aside.
- 4In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup of the chopped onion in butter until tender.
- 5Add tomatoes,V8 juice, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp.
- 6of the salt.
- 7Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine rice, catsup, worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt.
- 9Add beef and sausage; mix well.
- 10Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides.
- 11Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up each leaf to completely enclose filling.
- 12Place seam side down in a skillet.
- 13Top with the sauce.
- 14Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- 15Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes longer or until rolls are heated through and meat is no longer pink.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (714 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 713.5
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 100.9 mg
- Sodium 2099.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 35.7 g