Recipe by ThatJodiGirl
I believe I got this recipe in one of my "Tast of Home" cooking magazines. It is a really good recipe for cabbage rolls.
Top Review by Caseylaine
These were really good. Cabbage rolls are one of my faves, and I went searching for just the right recipe. THis is it! I like the idea of using V8 rather than just tomatoe sauce, and the brown sugar, and worcestershire sauce give a nice flavor. Instructions may seem lengthy; but it's actually fairly simple. The steps work well simultaneously. Cook time is long, but this is good for a sunday or long day dinner.
- 1 head cabbage (cored)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup V8 vegetable juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, boil cabbage for 10 minutes or until leaves are tender; drain.
- Rinse in cold water; drain.
- Remove 8 large outer leaves, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup of the chopped onion in butter until tender.
- Add tomatoes,V8 juice, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 tsp.
- of the salt.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine rice, catsup, worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt.
- Add beef and sausage; mix well.
- Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides.
- Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up each leaf to completely enclose filling.
- Place seam side down in a skillet.
- Top with the sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes longer or until rolls are heated through and meat is no longer pink.