Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my great grandmother's recipe. It never forms a "crust", is always soft. Keeps for weeks in the refrigerator.
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar or 3 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 lb butter, softened
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In double boiler stirring constantly cook flour and milk, to a soft or med paste, do not worry ! It will be OK if it gets thick to. You can do this step the night before also. I have even forgot to do this and put the recipe "on hold" until I had this done and cooled.
- Put paste in bowl, cover, cool in refrigerator, about 1/2 hour or until cooled.
- Put paste in mixer bowl, add sugar,butter, vanilla, salt and mix. Scrape and mix some more.
- Mix some more until granulated sugar is dissolving. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. I know this sounds funny but the granulated sugar has to dissolve. Add any of your optional flavors now.
- Mix for another minute, test for sugar granules between your index and thumb if no sugar crystals your done if not mix a short while longer.
- If you use powdered sugar you do not have to mix as long, it will dissolve instantly.
- optional, ways I have changed this recipe extract of your choice:.
- 1/2 of a lemon zest and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder and / or 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder, more or less to your taste.