Recipe by *~Christine~*
A classic frosting used in my family for generations.
Top Review by Cooking to Perfection
This has got to be the best buttercream frosting recipe I have ever had or made! The only change I would make is that I found that 1 1/2 lb of powdered sugar was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. Also, I think that 2 lb would have made my frosting too thick, but it just depends on personal preference. Either way, it's a keeper!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter, shortening, milk, vanilla, salt and one pound of sugar in large bowl.
- Beat at low speed until combined.
- Gradually add the other pound of sugar.
- Stop and scrape sides.
- Beat on high until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Keep covered with plastic wrap to prevent crusting.
- Chocolate Buttercream: For each pound of sugar used in the butter cream, allow 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, 3 tablespoons butter and 0.125 teaspoon salt.