Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A classic frosting used in my family for generations.
Make and share this Classic Buttercream Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- Place butter, shortening, milk, vanilla, salt and one pound of sugar in large bowl.
- Beat at low speed until combined.
- Gradually add the other pound of sugar.
- Stop and scrape sides.
- Beat on high until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Keep covered with plastic wrap to prevent crusting.
- Chocolate Buttercream: For each pound of sugar used in the butter cream, allow 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, 3 tablespoons butter and 0.125 teaspoon salt.
This has got to be the best buttercream frosting recipe I have ever had or made! The only change I would make is that I found that 1 1/2 lb of powdered sugar was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. Also, I think that 2 lb would have made my frosting too thick, but it just depends on personal preference. Either way, it's a keeper!
This is very good and also pipes well. I used this on a First Holy Communion cake and I had enough to frost a half sheet cake plus color the remaining with food coloring and pipe around the outside and write with. I also only had to use 1 1/2 lbs. of sugar to get the right consistency. Thanks!
extremely rich, but extremely yummy. I decorated my first cake with this frosting. Will definetly be using this recipe and no longer buying the frosting from the stores!!! Thank you...