Recipe by Lainey6605
A delicious chocolate brownie from Woman's Day magazine.
Top Review by angie_pangie
These are very tasty indeed - a dense, chocolate fudgy brownie! I made them for dh and kids for a Valentine's Day treat. I added a scoop of french vanilla, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and 2(!) cherries and served it all in a chocolate bowl. GREAT reviews from the family - and I had to hide the extras from dh to prevent their disappearance. Just a couple of notes. 1) These do not rise. You might add a teensy bit of baking powder or use self rising flour if you'd like a fluffier brownie. 2) One cup of nuts makes these very nutty. If you aren't a huge nut/walnut fan try cutting back to 1/2 or 3/4 C.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder, but really good (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil; butter the foil.
- Microwave the butter and chocolate in a medium bowl, stirring every 10 seconds, until melted and blended.
- Cool slightly; then, with a whisk, stir in sugar (mixture will become grainy). Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Whisk in vanilla.
- Gently stir in espresso, salt and flour just until blended. With a rubber spatula, fold in walnuts. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until top is dull and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist, chocolate-streaked crumbs attached. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Invert on rack, peel off foil and invert onto a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares.