Chef mariajane's Note:
Broccoli has been an all-time favorive vegetable in Milk Calendar recipes over the past 35 years. This easy irrestible soup that was first featured in 2000, makes broccoli shine again - especially when topped with Canadian Cheddar or Gruyere Cheese!! I always watch these recipes from the Milk Calendar - some of them are so Delicious - as this one is!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch broccoli (1 1/2 lb)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, sodium reduced (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Canadian cheddar cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1Peel and chop broccoli stems and coarsely chop florets, keeping stems and florets separate (you should have about 6 cups total).
- 2In a pot, combine broccoli stems, onion, potatoes, garlic, broth, orange rind, thyme, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add florets; simmer covered for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- 3Transfer to a blender or food processor, in batches, or use an immersion blender in hot pot and purée soup, adding Milk until smooth. Return to pot if necessaary. Heat over medium heat, stirring , until steaming, but do not let boil. Stir in more milk if soup is too thick.
- 4Season with up to 1/2 tsp .salt. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheese.
- 5COOKING TIPS: To dress this soup up for enterraining, sprinkle the cheese on thin slice of baguette and toast under the broiler for elegant croutons, then float them in the bowls of soup.
- 6FOR THE ADVENTUROUS: Reduce the broccoli to 4 cups and add 2 cups chopped trimmed rapini with the florets and 1 tablespoons chopped fresh sage instead of the dried thyme.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 777.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Canadian cheddar cheese