1/10 Photos of Classic Brine for Poultry, Shellfish and Pork
Use this standard brining solution to ensure tasty, juicy meats all the time. Brine solutions vary according to the chef's preference and they are often infused with herbs and spices, the flavors of which wind up being transferred to the meat during brining. This is from Big Daddy's grilling on line.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring water to a boil and add the salt and sugar and allow both to completely dissolve. If you are going to add herbs or seasonings add them now so the hot water will cause them to release their essence. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place the meat (except for whole birds) into a one-gallon zip-lock bag. Add the cooled brine and press baggie to remove excess air and seal. Place in fridge for recommended time.
- 2Use 1 quart of brine solution per pound of food, not to exceed 2 gallons of brine. Brine for 1 hour per pound, but not for less than 30 minutes or for more than 8 hours.
- 3HOW LONG TO BRINE.
- 4The thickness of the muscle, the strength of the brine.
- 5and your own taste determine how long to brine an item. For a moderately strong brine (1 cup salt to 1 gallon water), the following brining times are rough guidelines. If you aren't ready to cook at the end of the brining time, remove the meat from the brine, but keep the meat refrigerated.
- 6Shrimp: 30 minutes.
- 7Whole chicken (4 pounds): 8 to 12 hours.
- 8Chicken parts: 1 1/2 hours.
- 9Cornish game hens: 2 hours.
- 10Turkey (12 to 14 pounds): 24 hours.
- 11Pork chops (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick): 1 to 2 days.
- 12Whole pork tenderloin: 12 hours.
- 13Whole pork loin: 4 hours.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Brine for Poultry, Shellfish and Pork
Serving Size: 1 (1193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56616.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 99.8 g
- Protein 0.0 g