This is the classic bread dressing I make every year for Thanksgiving. I think it's from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Just posting it here to keep track of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup margarine or 3/4 cup butter
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 9 cups soft bread cubes (15 pieces, I like to use a bread that's nutty or grainy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Make bread cubes ahead of time and set out on counter so they can get a little "stale.".
- 2Melt margarine in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 3Cook celery and onion in margarine, stirring occasionally, until tender; remove from heat.
- 4Toss celery mixture and remaining ingredients.
- 5Pour dressing into a greased casserole. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before poultry is done.
- 6Bake uncovered in the same oven with the poultry about 45 minutes or until hot. Spoon poultry drippings over stuffing as it cooks.
- 7Continue to bake the dressing while you let the poultry stand 15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Bread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.5
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 771.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g