This is the classic bread dressing I make every year for Thanksgiving. I think it's from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Just posting it here to keep track of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup margarine or 3/4 cup butter
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 9 cups soft bread cubes (15 pieces, I like to use a bread that's nutty or grainy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Make bread cubes ahead of time and set out on counter so they can get a little "stale.".
- 2Melt margarine in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 3Cook celery and onion in margarine, stirring occasionally, until tender; remove from heat.
- 4Toss celery mixture and remaining ingredients.
- 5Pour dressing into a greased casserole. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before poultry is done.
- 6Bake uncovered in the same oven with the poultry about 45 minutes or until hot. Spoon poultry drippings over stuffing as it cooks.
- 7Continue to bake the dressing while you let the poultry stand 15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Bread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.5
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 771.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g