Recipe by Katherine in Alberta
This is a wonderful bran muffin that my Mom always made and now I carry on the tradition. This recipe came from the back of Rogers Wheat Bran. Quick to make, plus the recipe doubles well and freezes excellent.
Top Review by linda.winkler
These are classic bran muffins and they are very good. I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and used brown sugar Splenda and added 1 tblsp of molasses. I also added 1 tsp cinnamon and upped the vanilla to 1 tsp. Sometimes I add some chopped walnuts in addition to the raisins. I like that the recipe uses raw bran which is cheaper to use than bran cereal.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rogers wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tbsp. lemon juice added to 1 cup milk)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I use 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together Rogers Wheat Bran and buttermilk; let stand.
- Combine the vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add it to the bran-buttermilk mixture, this is now your first mixture.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the first mixture, stir until just blended and add the raisins.
- Line muffin tins with baking cup papers and spoon into baking cup papers using all the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Note: I bake mine for only 15 minutes and find them much moister.