Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking
Make and share this Classic Boston Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 295.73 ml unsifted all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml milk
For Pastry Cream Filling
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 354.88 ml milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 44.37 ml water
- 29.58 ml butter
- 44.37 ml cocoa
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To Make Cake:.
- Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- Combing dry ingredients.
- Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Pour batter into well-greased and floured 9-inch layer pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely on rack.
- To Make Filling:.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, milk, and egg yolks in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla. Cover and cool completely.
- To Make Glaze:.
- While the cake and the filling can (and should) be made ahead of time, the glaze cannot be made until you're ready to assemble the pie.
- Bring water and butter to a full boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa immediately. Then, beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Assembling the pie:.
- Cut the cake into 2 thin layers.
- Spread filling onto one layer. Top with remaining layer.
- Pour glaze on top; let some drizzle down sides. Chill again before serving.