1 hr 45 mins
Adapted from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
For Pastry Cream Filling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2To Make Cake:.
- 3Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- 4Combing dry ingredients.
- 5Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- 6Pour batter into well-greased and floured 9-inch layer pan.
- 7Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- 9Cool completely on rack.
- 10To Make Filling:.
- 11Combine sugar, cornstarch, milk, and egg yolks in saucepan.
- 12Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute.
- 13Remove from heat; blend in butter and vanilla. Cover and cool completely.
- 14To Make Glaze:.
- 15While the cake and the filling can (and should) be made ahead of time, the glaze cannot be made until you're ready to assemble the pie.
- 16Bring water and butter to a full boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa immediately. Then, beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- 17Assembling the pie:.
- 18Cut the cake into 2 thin layers.
- 19Spread filling onto one layer. Top with remaining layer.
- 20Pour glaze on top; let some drizzle down sides. Chill again before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Boston Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.6
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 446.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 64.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g