Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion
Top Review by *Pixie*
Great muffins! I've made these a few times now and they are always perfect - light, full of blueberries and moist! I use lots of cinnamon sugar on top, makes a lovely crust. Excellent recipe, thanks for posting.
- 8 tablespoons butter or 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (or dried blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, for topping (or sugar-cinnamon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375° F; in a bowl, cream together until light, the butter, sugar, and salt.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Mash ½ cup of the blueberries and add them to the batter; stir in the vanilla at the end, along with the whole blueberries.
- Mound batter into 12 lightly greased muffin cups, filling each completely to the top (actually over the top; the batter is thick enough that it will hold its shape).
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven, and after 5 minutes remove them from the pan to cool completely on a rack.