1/2 Photos of Classic Black Beans and Rice
This is a typical dish served in Cuba or Puerto Rico, each country has their own method of preparation. You can flavor this dish with meat, but I left it out as I serve it as a side dish with my meats. It is an easy and healthy short cut and takes about 30 minutes to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (undrained)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package sazon goya (without annato *see note)
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, sauté onion,green pepper, and garlic.
- 2Sauté until tender@8-10 minutes.
- 3Add in remaining ingredients and stir until boiling, reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced@ 20 minutes.
- 4Serve over white rice.
- 5I like to mash a few of the beans with the back of a spoon to flavor the sauce.
- 6Note: if you do not have Sazòn Goya an appropriate substitute would be ground cumin, chicken bouillon, and garlic salt to taste.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Black Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.3
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: