Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is more like a meal than a soup. The rich beef flavor in the broth blends perfectly with the swiss cheese and the French bread. Perfect comfort food.
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan cook the onions & garlic in butter until golden brown.
- Add water, sherry and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Slice 6 pieces of bread 3/4" thick, butter and toast in the broiler.
- Place soup in 6 oven proof soup bowls.
- Top each with a slice of bread and cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts and browns.