Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love this stew. it's work and takes time, but it's so worth it! measurements are guesses but they are pretty accurate.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (or 1 tsp dried onion)
- 1 onion, chopped in large pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped (large)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (large)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and large dice
- preheat the oven to 350.
- toss meat with flour, salt and pepper.
- heat oil in a dutch oven and brown meat in 2-3 batches
- return all meat to the pot and add tomato paste.
- add wine, stock, worchesteshire sauce, and spices, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- bring to a boil, cover and put in the oven for 2 hours.
- add vegetables and more stock if necessary, bring back to a boil, cover and return to the oven for another hour.
- remove bay leaf and serve! we like ours with good crusty bread and a green salad.
Made this on a chilly Sunday afternoon. It was awesome!! I needed to add about 1 1/2-2C more beef stock after the initial 2hrs. I also used about 3-4 stems of fresh thyme since I had it laying around from another recipe. Served it with warm crusty bread and butter. Yummmmmm :) Thanks for a great recipe!!!!