1/2 Photos of Classic Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
4 hrs 35 mins
This is the best beef stew I've ever made. It tastes great with a crunchy loaf of bread. I got this recipe from Real Simple (March 2004 edition). You'll need a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Browning the beef adds more flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs bottom round steaks, well trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb baby carrots
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1Put the flour in a large Ziploc bag.
- 2Add the beef and seal.
- 3Toss to lightly coat the beef.
- 4Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Brown the meat in small batches, adding more oil as necessary.
- 6Transfer to the slow cooker.
- 7Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 8Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions then transfer to the slow cooker.
- 9Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits and then add to the slow cooker.
- 10Stir in the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 11Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1/2 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 12Add the peas and heat through before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 748.1
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 1835.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 39.0 g