Recipe by Bec
This is a special treat for cold winter days. A family favorite! Feel free to improvise- I will double this, use a million carrots (steamed in the microwave first), and I mince the garlic.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 -8 potatoes, cubed
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash allspice or 1 dash clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly brown the meat on all sides in hot oil, turning often.
- Add boiling water, worcestershire sauce, garlic, sliced onion, bay leaves, and seasonings.
- Cover, simmer (don't boil) for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and keep from sticking.
- Remove bay leaves and garlic clove.
- Add carrots and potatoes.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Remove meat and veggies.
- Thicken liquid for gravy if desired.
- (you can use flour or corn starch).