Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Certified Angus Beef website. http://recipes.certifiedangusbeef.com/recipedetail.aspx?id=601
- 3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks (Certified Angus Beef Ã )
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, coarse
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, large dice
- 3 large carrots, diagonally cut to 1-inch chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 thyme, sprigs fresh
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced fresh
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced fresh flat-leaf
- Remove top rack from oven and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Put half of oil in a Dutch oven (or oven-proof heavy pot with tight fitting lid) over medium high heat. Just as the oil begins to smoke, add half of beef evenly spaced. Brown on all sides and transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil, sear remaining beef; remove from pan.
- Add onions, carrot, garlic and tomato paste. Stir over medium high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan, 2-3 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine. Add red wine and continue simmering on medium low heat until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef, beef stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, again scraping sides and bottom clean; put lid on Dutch oven and place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and rosemary and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, approximately one hour. If needed, add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve, garnished with fresh parsley.