Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
Very simple and very easy! I like to serve this with rice, but some prefer not to add the extra starch. I make this in a Dutch oven, although an electric skillet of good size will work. I found this in our paper and am putting it here for safe keeping!!
Top Review by Truffle Lady46
I was looking for something easy to pop into the oven. Gave this a try. I did tweak it suit my taste. I used oil to brown the meat to save on fat. I added four cups of broth and thickened very slightly, and I added dough boys for the last 10 minutes. Turned out very good and would make again.
- 2 -3 slices bacon
- 2 -3 lbs beef chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 5 medium potatoes
- 5 carrots
- 1 (8 -10 ounce) package mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef into 2-3 inch cubes. Remove and discard any excess fat as you do.
- Sprinkle the cubes with salt and pepper.
- After you have cooked the bacon and taken it out of the pot, turn the heat up to high and add the beef cubes. DO NOT crowd.
- Brown the beef well, turning as necessary, and turning the heat down if the residue on the bottom of the pan is burning.
- Remove the browned meat to a plate, and continue browning all the remaining cubes.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut into 1/4-inch (or so) slices.
- After browning and removing all of the beef, add the sliced onions.
- Stir to bring up any of the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium, and cook onion about 5-10 min, stirring occasionally, or until limp and well browned.
- Heat oven to 300ºF.
- Return the meat to the pan with the onions, along with any of the residual juices that have collected on the plate.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and cover.
- Place meat in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, adding them to the pot as you do.
- Cover the pot and cook for 30 minute.
- Peel and quarter the carrots, slice the mushrooms if you like and are using them; add them to the pan.
- Cover the pot and cook for 20 min more.
- Serve in bowls.