1/1 Photo of Classic Beef Stew
3 hrs 40 mins
Very simple and very easy! I like to serve this with rice, but some prefer not to add the extra starch. I make this in a Dutch oven, although an electric skillet of good size will work. I found this in our paper and am putting it here for safe keeping!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 2Meanwhile, cut the beef into 2-3 inch cubes. Remove and discard any excess fat as you do.
- 3Sprinkle the cubes with salt and pepper.
- 4After you have cooked the bacon and taken it out of the pot, turn the heat up to high and add the beef cubes. DO NOT crowd.
- 5Brown the beef well, turning as necessary, and turning the heat down if the residue on the bottom of the pan is burning.
- 6Remove the browned meat to a plate, and continue browning all the remaining cubes.
- 7Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut into 1/4-inch (or so) slices.
- 8After browning and removing all of the beef, add the sliced onions.
- 9Stir to bring up any of the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- 10Lower the heat to medium, and cook onion about 5-10 min, stirring occasionally, or until limp and well browned.
- 11Heat oven to 300ºF.
- 12Return the meat to the pan with the onions, along with any of the residual juices that have collected on the plate.
- 13Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- 14Turn off the heat and cover.
- 15Place meat in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- 16Peel and quarter the potatoes, adding them to the pot as you do.
- 17Cover the pot and cook for 30 minute.
- 18Peel and quarter the carrots, slice the mushrooms if you like and are using them; add them to the pan.
- 19Cover the pot and cook for 20 min more.
- 20Serve in bowls.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.3
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 106.1 mg
- Sodium 840.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 31.7 g