Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Beefy and delicious
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into chunks
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces water
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- olive oil, as needed
- salt and pepper, as needed
- parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and brown beef on all sides. Add garlic and cornstarch and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add water, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and some salt and pepper to the beef. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, saute all chopped onions, carrots, celery and potatoes just until lightly browning and beginning to soften.
- Add vegetables and raw mushroom slices to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Simmer uncovered for about 90 minutes.
- You'll know it's done when the beef and vegetables are tender and the stew has begun to thicken. Serve immediately or chill uncovered until cool throughout and then keep covered until reheating for service.