1/1 Photo of Classic Beef Pot Roast With Pistachio Salt
5 hrs 30 mins
5 hrs 30 mins
Original recipe from Amy Thielen's The New Midwestern Table: http://bit.ly/15BfWIf
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast, the more marbled the better
- fine sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 stalks celery, cut into thirds
- 3 large carrots, quartered
- 2 medium turnips, quartered
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 large vidalia onions, cut into eighths
- 11 garlic cloves (10 whole, 1 minced)
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shelled salted pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1Season the roast liberally with salt and pepper. Heat your largest high-sided skillet over high heat, add the oil, and then add the roast. Sear it quickly until dark brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Set the roast aside, pour off and discard the excess fat from the skillet, and let the skillet cool a bit. Then add the butter, celery, carrots, turnips, ½ teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium heat, tossing, until the vegetables begin to soften at the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a wide bowl and reserve.
- 2Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 3Add the wine to the skillet, bring to a boil, and cook until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the beef stock, and bring to a simmer.
- 4Arrange the onions in the bottom of a large covered roasting pan and set the beef on top of them. Scatter the whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme over and around the roast. Pour the beef stock mixture over the meat and cover the pan tightly. Bake for 1 hour.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 285°F, and continue to braise for 2 hours.
- 6Uncover the pan, skim off the fat around the edges with a small ladle, and discard it. With two large forks, carefully turn the meat over and ladle some juice over the top. Add the reserved sautéed vegetables, arranging them around the perimeter of the meat. Cover the pan and braise for 1 more hour.
- 7Skim the fat again with a small ladle, baste the top of the meat again, and then scatter the cherry tomatoes across the top, some dropping onto the meat, some onto the vegetables. Don’t stir again. Braise, uncovered this time to allow the tomatoes to split and shrink and the top of the meat to brown, until the meat feels extremely tender at the touch of a fork, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Discard the bay leaves.
- 8For the pistachio salt, combine the pistachios, parsley, minced garlic, and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Beef Pot Roast With Pistachio Salt
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.0
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.3 mg
- Sodium 276.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 54.1 g