An easy classic beef barley soup with lots of flavor! Feel free to add in any extras of your choice, I like to add in chili flakes and jalapeno peppers for some heat, I also like to sprinkle some fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top of the soup in the bowl
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (optional, can use more I always do)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional or to taste)
- 4 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the ground beef with onion, garlic and thyme (if using) until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pot.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding salt and pepper to suit taste.