Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 hrs
Mom's classic bean soup recipe. Perfect to have on the stove all day making your house smell wonderful on a cold Saturday! This is truly fabulous comfort food! Note: All beans used in this recipe are dried ones - not canned. You may substitute yellow split peas for the lentils, or black beans for the red ones. Also, you should not use quick-cooking or minute rice! I really recommend using the ham hocks - they add such wonderful flavor to the soup!
- 1 cup red beans
- 2⁄3 cup lentils
- 2⁄3 cup dried split green peas
- 2⁄3 cup white navy beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 3 -4 ham hocks, if desired (optional)
- Rinse beans in a colander. In a large stock pot combine beans with 9 cups water. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and soak overnight or all day. Drain and rinse.
- Combine beans with 12 cups broth, rice, spices, and ham hocks if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3-4 hours or until beans are tender. Add water as needed so that the beans are always well covered.
- Remove ham hocks and cut the meat off the bone, adding it back to the soup and discarding the bones. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serve with warmed and buttered flour tortillas or fresh bread.