Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This baked ziti recipe is a simple Italian casserole dish that my family enjoys.
Make and share this Classic Baked Ziti recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is browned; stirring frequently.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, and oregano.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir 1 cup of the sauce into the cooked ziti noodles.
- Spoon 1/2 of the ziti mixture into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Top with 2 cups sauce, then remaining ziti mixture and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until heated through.
You know, I had never had baked ziti before - even eating out. I found this recipe when I was "on the prowl" for something totally different a couple of nights ago. Followed the recipe to a tee (except I subbed salt-free homemade meatless sauce and low-sodium chicken broth so that I could enjoy it without feeling guilty!) and BINGO! I was in business. Served it with a very crisp green salad topped with very spicy Greek olive oil dressing and my homemade sourdough croutons, and it was a meal to remember.
Delicious. I added lots of sliced mushrooms with the mince because I love them. I will make this again many times.
This was another great dish. Made plenty, ate the leftovers the next day, it tasted even better if that is possible.