Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Serve this classic Italian dip in a fondue pot with assorted veges or bread cubes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 mashed anchovy fillets
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a heavy fondue pot, or saucepan, and simmer on LOW for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a platter of bite-size young vegetables (thinly sliced if the vegetables are fibrous), such as carrots, artichoke hearts, celery, cherry tomatoes, green pepper, zucchini, Belgian endive, and cabbage leaves.
- Or serve with bread cubes for dipping.
- Let the guests dip their choices into the warm sauce with fondue forks.
Why isn't everyone eating this all of the time? I love bagna cauda and this recipe is closest to the one I've been making for years! I do add quite a bit more garlic and mince it - maybe a whole head since it's cooked. I like the 50/50 butter-olive oil combination. Make sure you use unsalted butter since the anchovies provide PLENTY of salt. Get people to try this and they won't stop - great at parties. Thanks for posting, papergoddess - I love bagna cauda and yours is no exception!
Very similar to the one I just tried and found very good. The differences were very basic 12 fillets, 6 garlic cloves, some salt and a finely minced white truffle.