Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
Use your favourite apple variety, just make a note to alter the amount of sugar based upon the sweetness of the apples used!
- 7 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
Pastry for double crust pie
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup lard or 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cold water
- Pastry for double crust pie-------------.
- Combine flour, lard and salt with a pastry blender or fork until balls are the size of a large pea.
- Add cold water by the spoonful and blend until the bowl starts to clean itself as you work the dough.
- Then it is ready for rolling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind.
- Line pie plate with unbaked pie crust, trim pastry, crimp to edge of pie plate. Fill pie crust with apple mixture and dot with softened butter.
- Brush crust edge with water and place pie crust top on top of pie, crimp to the bottom crust. Make some slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350°F and bake for 45 minutes longer.
a very nice easy recipe.a recipe that has the right ingredents
This was a great pie. It was nice and juicey. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lemon. It was a little bit to bitter. Thanks for posting!! Sincerly Super Spongebob
I can cook nearly anything but I've NEVER been able to make an apple pie that was juicy. This was my first one that ever turned out and was delicious. My husband had wanted me to buy a frozen one and I decided to try one more time. This is definitely going to be MY pie recipe from now on. Thanks for posting it!