Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is an outstanding pound cake and one I have made many times in the past, follow the steps properly and you will have pound cake like no other!
- Set oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- In a large bowl combine butter, shortening, 3 cups sugar (use only 3 cups sugar) vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Add eggs, 7-up, and the flour mixture to the butter mixture, using the following directions:.
- This method must be followed; add 1 egg in at a time; then add a bit of Seven-Up, then a bit of the flour mixture, then a bit more of Seven-Up; repeat until all the eggs, flour mixture and 1 cup Seven-Up is used up (you will use the remaining 1/4 cup for glaze).
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the 1/4 cup Seven-Up soda.
- Spread the glaze mix over cake.
Guess I did it right... texture was perfect.. taste was outstanding, not hard to put together.. used pure vanilla extract with the almond. Nothing but rave reviews from everyone.. thanks kitten for another million dollar winner.
With a slight variation, I made this a five-star cake. I used all butter instead of a half-cup of shortening (3 sticks total), and I subtracted one tsp of the soda from the cake and added a tsp of lemon flavoring. This was one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.
WOW!! I've been making the other classic 7-up cake that contains the lemon extract since I was 13 and it is a cake I'm well known for and was my mother's favorite cake of all time. But, didn't know that there was another take on the 7-up cake. This cake is lovely and is remeniscent in flavor to macaroons without the coconut. It is going quick in my house. The texture is superb and flavor is spectacular.......this will be my other 7-up classic cake in my home. Thank you Kitencal for another terrific one.