Cook1 hr 45 mins
This is an outstanding pound cake and one I have made many times in the past, follow the steps properly and you will have pound cake like no other!
- Set oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- In a large bowl combine butter, shortening, 3 cups sugar (use only 3 cups sugar) vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Add eggs, 7-up, and the flour mixture to the butter mixture, using the following directions:.
- This method must be followed; add 1 egg in at a time; then add a bit of Seven-Up, then a bit of the flour mixture, then a bit more of Seven-Up; repeat until all the eggs, flour mixture and 1 cup Seven-Up is used up (you will use the remaining 1/4 cup for glaze).
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the 1/4 cup Seven-Up soda.
- Spread the glaze mix over cake.