Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from King Arthur Flour's website. I'm looking forward to trying it.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast (dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey (or molasses, or maple syrup)
- 3 1⁄2 cups king arthur traditional whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Mixing: I.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine programmed for "dough" or "manual.")
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log.
- Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour, or until it's crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for about 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil after 20 minutes.
- Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190°F at the center of the loaf).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature.
Pretty good. I was looking at this recipe at King Arthur site so made it the way they posted it. Added 1/4 cup dry milk and 1 1/4 cup water. Think it is a tad bitter, and next time would sub in some orange juice for the water--1/4 cup.