1/1 Photo of Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
This is from King Arthur Flour's website. I'm looking forward to trying it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mixing: I.
- 2In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- 3Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine programmed for "dough" or "manual.")
- 4Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- 6Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log.
- 7Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour, or until it's crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.
- 9Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for about 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil after 20 minutes.
- 10Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190°F at the center of the loaf).
- 11Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g