My friend took a cake decorating class, and this is the most delicious frosting I've ever had. She said you have to buy professional extracts instead of the store brand or it will change the color and the taste. She got hers at a craft store. She said for the best flavor to use whole milk instead of a low-fat milk or water, but if you want to use milk you'll have to refrigerate the cake. She says the salt keeps the frosting not tasting too sweet, and it's a must. The best part about this frosting the taste and texture stay good for weeks. Serving size is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (solid white)
- 1 teaspoon imitation vanilla (Wilton) or 1 teaspoon almond flavoring (Wilton) or 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract (Wilton)
- 7 -8 teaspoons milk or 7 -8 teaspoons water
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (pure cane)
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder (Wilton brand, you can skip if you are allergic to eggs)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1Cream shortening, flavoring, and water.
- 2Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together.
- 3Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.
- 4For Chocolate Buttercream: Add cocoa, melted chocolate squares, and water to the recipe and mix until well blended.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Class Buttercream Icing
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 20.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: