Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My friend took a cake decorating class, and this is the most delicious frosting I've ever had. She said you have to buy professional extracts instead of the store brand or it will change the color and the taste. She got hers at a craft store. She said for the best flavor to use whole milk instead of a low-fat milk or water, but if you want to use milk you'll have to refrigerate the cake. She says the salt keeps the frosting not tasting too sweet, and it's a must. The best part about this frosting the taste and texture stay good for weeks. Serving size is estimated.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (solid white)
- 1 teaspoon imitation vanilla (Wilton) or 1 teaspoon almond flavoring (Wilton) or 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract (Wilton)
- 7 -8 teaspoons milk or 7 -8 teaspoons water
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (pure cane)
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder (Wilton brand, you can skip if you are allergic to eggs)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- Cream shortening, flavoring, and water.
- Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together.
- Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.
- For Chocolate Buttercream: Add cocoa, melted chocolate squares, and water to the recipe and mix until well blended.