Recipe by Dee514
I found this recipe on the net, in response to a "Request a recipe" post. It's very similar to a cake my grandmother used to make. The recipe makes 10-12 servings, so I will have to wait for an occasion to try it.
- 12 -15 slices panettone or 12 -15 slices pandoro (sliced fairly thin)
- 1 cup almond Marsala or 1 cup Amaretto or 1 cup brandy (may be used)
- 2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 1 container Cool Whip
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 1 1/2 quart bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In large bowl with an electric mixer, whip ricotta, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until creamy.
- Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- Cut Panettone slices diagonally and place into bowl setting the tips meeting at the bottom and covering the sides of the bowl, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle generously with Marsala.
- Spoon about 1/2 of ricotta mixture into bowl and top with Panettone slices.
- Sprinkle with more Marsala.
- Top with rest of ricotta, top with Panettone, sprinkle with Marsala, pushing firmly with even pressure so that cake compresses and conforms to bowl.
- Bring up plastic wrap around sides to seal cake in bowl.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day peel back plastic wrap; invert bowl into serving dish.
- Frost with Cool Whip and sprinkle with chopped almonds.