Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
I found this on the internet yet again, posted by Clark Hamblen. I haven't tried it yet but this is how he describes it. " This recipe is excellent served for breakfast with fruit, or at lunch or dinner with a salad. This recipe makes two 9 inch pies. The reason for this is because if you only make one you will hate yourself the next day when there are no leftovers. Bacon, ham, and spinach and mushrooms are layered with 3 cheeses in this rich delicious egg dish."
Top Review by brunettebaker
I made this for a "breakfast for dinner" themed dinner party and it went over very well!! I used only ham, did not use a crust, used gruyere, sharp cheddar and fresh parmesan cheeses. Everyone loved it - I will definitely make it again. I did not layer as the reciped suggested. I just mixed everything together and it turned out great!
- 225 g thick sliced bacon
- 284 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 227 1⁄4 g sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 225 g fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 280 g finely diced smoked ham
- 225 g monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 225 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 115 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 355 ml half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grams dried parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Cook spinach according to package instructions. Allow to cool, then squeeze dry.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in ham and cooked bacon. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, salt and pepper. Divide, and spread into pie crusts. Layer with bacon mixture.
- Mix together Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Parmesan, and sprinkle over pies.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, and pour over pies.
- Place pies on baking sheet, and bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- The top will be puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.