Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from Clarissa Hyman's cookbook "Cucina Siciliana" and it's rustic, earthy and delicious in its simplicity. A tip for cooks from my country: try substituting the cherry tomatoes with peppadews! Use ready-pitted calamata olives, or you can sub with pitted green olives. I tweaked the original, and I suggest you use more potatoes, cherry tomatoes and olives if you like. Also, use lots of chopped fresh rosemary!!
- 3 lbs potatoes (1 1/2 kg)
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons rosemary, fresh, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper (recipe says use as much pepper as you can take!)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (preferably use more)
- 12 pitted black olives (preferably use more)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks. Not tiny, mind, about 1/2 inch square).
- Parboil them for 5 mins., then drain, and blot dry on a bed of kitchen paper.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan. Add the potato chunks, rosemary, garlic, some salt, and a lot of black pepper -- but not enough to spoil the taste for you!
- Stir the potatoes in the oil so they are well coated, and then leave to brown, flipping them over a few times. Keep checking so they don't burn or stick. You need quite high heat for this, otherwise the potato pieces will not brown well.
- After about 15 mins, when the potatoes are almost golden and crunchy, add the tomatoes, olives and garlic, and mix gently.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the tomatoes go limp and the skins split and char a little.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
- This is great with a leg or shoulder of oven-roasted lamb, or with roast chicken. It will also be a great side dish with fish.
I usually just toss potatoes in the oven in their jackets, but it's blistering hot this summer in Australia so I didn't want to turn on the oven. This seemed perfect and ridiculously easy to make, and it certainly is. Used 500 grams of potatoes, 6 cherry tomatoes and 9 kalamata olives. Absolutely divine -- served with grilled steaks and Grape Tomatoes With Onion, Bacon and Sage. A real treat on a hot summer night.