Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Claret is the English term for a red Bordeaux. So use a Bordeaux where it says "red wine" Borrowed from "Royal Cookery"!
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin, softened in
- 1⁄4 cup cold water, for 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Put the jelly, sugar, peel and boiling water into a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until jelly and sugar dissolve.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat and add gelatin, stir until fully dissolved.
- Strain the mix and add claret and brandy.
- Rinse 3-4 cup jelly mold with cold water, then pour the mix into the mold and refridgerate until "set"; about 4 hours.
- Flip out of the mold and serve.