Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mysteries series. I made two batches of these, one using steel cut oats and the other using rolled oats. Both were good, just a different texture. I also got 9 muffins instead of 6 from both batches.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oats (rolled or steel cut, not instant)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine buttermilk and oats, cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Crack egg into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork. Add buttermilk/oat mixture, brown sugar, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and raisins. Stir well to combine. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir to create a lumpy dough.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin cups with paper liners and lightly coat the papers and top of pan with cooking spray.
- Drop dough into cups, filling to the top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until top of muffin is firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
These are so good. Dense and sweet and yummy!